The Global Ties U.S. MENA-USA Empowering Resilient Girls Exchange (MERGE) brings together girls ages 15-19 from the United States and MENA region in a supportive virtual space to develop emotional resilience skills. Participants discuss and experiment with a variety of stress-relief and coping techniques while guided by trained facilitators, engaging in both synchronous (live) and asynchronous exchange. MERGE helps girls from diverse communities and backgrounds learn about their own mental health, build skills and techniques to cope with stressors, and empowers participants to share these tools with their communities through the program’s culminating mental resilience strategies website.
Facilitator role description
MERGE facilitators serve as learning guides and coaches for their participant sections throughout the eight (8) weeks of the program. They support their participants on the identification and creation of their contribution to a final digital strategy resource bank. Facilitators should plan to spend three (3) –four (4) hours a week engaging with their section of 20 program participants. Synchronous and asynchronous training is provided and includes background information, simulated facilitation practice, and feedback from the subject matter experts engaged in designing the program.
- Reside in the United States or a MENA region country (Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, or Yemen);
- Identify as a woman;
- Be between the ages of 22 to 29 as of August 2, 2021;
- Speak English at an advanced level or higher;
- Be available during the training and program dates listed below;
- Have a reliable laptop or computer and internet connection that can be utilized for the duration of the program;
- Have experience with and a passion for mentoring young women, mental health, and international exchange;
- Have demonstrated experience in building virtual community or facilitating online events.
Facilitators will be compensated with a stipend of $850 USD for their work at the end of the program.
Facilitator application open: April 29-May 31, 2021
Facilitator training: July 12-16, 2021
MERGE cohort 1 program runs: August 2-September 24, 2021
Please contact Elizabeth Black, Senior Program Manager for Virtual Exchange, Global Ties U.S., at email@example.com.
Applications close on Monday, May 31, 2021. Ready to apply? Click below!
Note: The application contains four (4) open response questions, and two (2) file uploads. You are unable to save the application once you start. We recommend you draft your answers before completing the application using these MERGE Facilitator Application Questions (Word document).
The MENA-USA Empowering Resilient Girls Exchange (MERGE), implemented by Global Ties U.S., is supported by the Stevens Initiative, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government, and is administered by the Aspen Institute. The Stevens Initiative is also supported by the Bezos Family Foundation and the governments of Morocco and the United Arab Emirates.