We are accepting nominations and applications for our Board of Directors. Details for the nomination process are noted below.
Applications are due on or before Thursday, September 30, but we encourage you to apply early.
To submit materials or ask questions, please contact Jason Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board Member Duties and Responsibilities
Global Ties U.S. relies on its Board of Directors to drive strategy, assess effectiveness, and ensure adequate financial resources. Prospective members can expect a fast-paced and rewarding experience, helping to lead a dynamic and evolving organization. Board terms are three years in length and require a commitment to ongoing committee work, fundraising, strategic planning, and making a financial contribution. Members can serve up to two three-year terms. We are currently seeking new board members for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2022.
Based on current composition, the Board of Directors especially seeks leaders from the U.S. West, Midwest, or South, or from countries abroad. Significant professional expertise is sought in the areas of senior level communications leadership, legal practice, and overall corporate leadership. As part of our commitment to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization, the Board strongly encourages nominations of people of color, people with disabilities, and people who identify themselves within LGBTQ+ communities.
Global Ties U.S. board members are to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide thought leadership, strategic vision, and organizational direction for Global Ties U.S.;
- Assist the organization with development, partnership formation, and fundraising;
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity;
- Satisfy all fiduciary and legal responsibilities;
- Advocate for Global Ties U.S. mission, and person-to-person exchanges at the local, state, and federal levels;
- Provide general oversight of the organization and act to strengthen the organization and affiliates;
- Attend and participate actively in three board meetings per year (at least two are required to stay in good standing), which take place either virtually or in the following locations (depending on public health situation):
- March – Washington, DC
- July – Various domestic locations
- November – Washington, DC
- Serve on at least one Global Ties U.S. Board committee, and attend and participate actively in Board committee meetings;
- Make a minimum annual contribution of $1,000, support Global Ties U.S. fundraising efforts, and otherwise consider Global Ties U.S. to be a philanthropic priority;
- Follow all Global Ties U.S. Board policies, including the code of conduct, conflict of interest, confidentiality, and expense/travel policies.
Summary of Qualifications
- A commitment to and understanding of the Global Ties U.S. mission and organization;
- A proven understanding of at least one of the following areas: public diplomacy, international exchange programs, internationally-focused nonprofit organizations, foreign affairs, and/or nonprofit development/management;
- Ten or more years of leadership experience, with a thorough understanding of the responsibilities of serving on a nonprofit or association board;
- Strong strategic planning and problem-solving skills;
- Commitment to fundraising for the organization, including willingness to make an annual financial contribution to Global Ties U.S. and to provide proactive support to fundraising efforts from corporations, foundations, and/or government agencies to generate donations, sponsorships, or grants;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and mission-driven;
- Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships, facilitating dialogue, and building consensus among diverse individuals;
- A background that can contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusion goals of the organization.
Candidate Application Materials
Please submit a curriculum vitae (including volunteer and board experience), a one-page statement of intent outlining why you seek to join the board of Global Ties U.S., and list two references.
Additional Information / Where to Send Applications
The Global Ties U.S. Board of Directors invites nominations of qualified candidates for board membership. Nominations are due on or before September 17, 2021, but we encourage you to apply early. The Global Ties U.S. Board will review submissions and contact selected candidates for further screening. The selection of board members will take place in late 2021.
Candidates selected for further screening must be prepared for at least one telephone interview with a Global Ties U.S. Governance Committee member and President & CEO Katherine Brown. Applications with incomplete information will not be considered. Candidates can expect a response by the end of November 2021.
New Director terms will start on January 1, 2022 and end on December 31, 2025. Board terms are three years, and re-election to a second term is possible. Directors are asked to make a financial contribution by September 30 of each year.
Please submit application materials to Jason Terry at email@example.com on or before Friday, September 17.