Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the Global Ties Network has adapted and innovated with new technologies and tools to make international exchange programs more accessible and inclusive. As attendees discovered at the Global Ties U.S. 2022 National Meeting, we are looking to the future and moving exchange forward.
The 2022 National Meeting included a smaller in-person gathering of about 400 attendees, focused on implementers of the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), and a virtual component open to the public. Read our FAQs to learn more about the format and programming of the 2022 National Meeting.
View the plenary session videos below and on our YouTube playlist.
View event photos on Flickr.
- Read more about U.S. Department of State keynote speakers Assistant Secretary of State Lee Satterfield and Deputy Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer Conny Mayer
- Celebrate the recipients of the Global Ties Network Innovation Award: the Virtual Programming Champions and the Forward Planning Working Group, who worked to find ways to keep the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) moving and building critical relationships despite the pandemic; and the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Working Group, who are focusing on ensuring that the IVLP and other international exchange programs are inclusive of individuals and resources that represent the diversity of U.S. communities.
- Meet the recipients of the 2022 IVLP Alumni Award for Social Innovation and Change: Mehwish Abbasi of Pakistan and Adrian Lasimbang of Malaysia, both leaders who are empowering marginalized communities to create equitable and inclusive strategies to address climate change.
- Catch up with the 2022 Citizen Diplomat Award recipients: disability rights activist Susan Sygall, and Washington, DC-based organization Life Pieces to Masterpieces, for their deep commitment to public diplomacy and their social impact on communities in the United States and abroad.
- Get to know the participants of the 2022 cohort of the Emerging Leaders Program.
- Read the Welcome Message from Toni Carr, Chair of the 2022 National Meeting Planning Committee.
Global Ties Network Members
Access session materials, including recordings from the Adjacent Session Programming, now on the Member Portal (login required) of the Global Ties U.S. website.
Citizen Diplomacy Evening Receptions
Thank you DACOR Bacon House and Meridian House for hosting a Thursday evening reception for 2022 National Meeting attendees. Special thanks to Ambassador-level sponsor Meridian International Center for donating their space.
Thank You #GlobalTies2022 Supporters
- Capital Communications Group, Inc.
- Alexander & Sharon Durtka
- American Councils for International Education
- Meridian International Center
- Ambassador Richard LeBaron
- Vicente López-Ibor Mayor
- Unitas Communications
- World Affairs Councils of America
- The Ascendant Athlete
- Churchill Hotel
- CRDF Global
- Cultural Vistas
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Downtown Washington, DC
- Sherry Mueller
- Whistle Lake
- The International Center
- International Institute of Wisconsin
- World Affairs Council – Seattle
The National Meeting is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. Government and administered by Global Ties U.S.